Selecting phone numbers: long codes vs. short codes
Textizen offers three types of phone numbers: long code, shared short code, and dedicated short code.
10-digit long code.
A long code is the familiar 10-digit number that you see for phone numbers in the US (e.g. 123-456-7890). Long codes are straightforward to use and require no configuration from a GovDelivery representative.
By default, Textizen automatically assigns a long code number with the area code of your choice to any new poll or message created within the platform. Area codes are specified during account set-up.
Choose a long code when you want to:
- Set up a poll or messages immediately. Long codes are automatically assigned in about one minute.
- Send polls or messages to standard volumes of recipients, up to 10,000 per day.
- Use a phone number with your local area code.
Short codes are 5- or 6-digit numbers designed to handle high-volume messaging. Short codes also require additional configuration and up to 16 weeks of lead time. Ask your GovDelivery representative for more information.
GovDelivery offers two ways for you to message your audience with a short code: shared and dedicated short codes.
Shared short codes.
Shared short codes are used by multiple GovDelivery clients, enabling more organizations to take advantage of high-volume sending. To use a shared short code with Inbound polls, participants must text in a designated Startword to begin the correct poll.
Currently, there is no additional cost for using a shared short code.
Shared short codes typically take 3 business days to configure for your account. Ask your GovDelivery representative for more information.
Choose a shared short code when you want to:
- Send time-sensitive messages at very high volumes of texts in a poll (10-30 or more messages per second).
- Implement quickly, skipping the additional cost and 16-week implementation time for a dedicated short code.
Dedicated short codes.
You can choose to purchase access to a short code exclusively for your organization’s use, across one or multiple polls. Dedicated short codes often include branding elements related to the agency or program.
Dedicated short codes are purchased and configured during the implementation process. They can take up to 16 weeks to enable and incur additional cost. Talk to your GovDelivery representative for more information.
Choose a dedicated short code when you want to:
- Send time-sensitive messages at very high volumes (30 or more messages per second).
- Brand your messages with a unique, easy-to-remember number.